Triangle Blog: Lets go Caps

After the Redskins’ demoralizing loss to the 1-7 Dolphins last weekend, it looks it’s going to be another lost season for the Skins. But don’t fret Washingtonians; there is still hope for another professional team.  The Washington Capitals are off to a great start and are leading the southeast division with a 10-6-1 record.

Defenseman Karl Alzner congratulates goalie Tomas Vokoun after the Capitals' 2-1 victory over the Ottowa Senators. Despite recent losses, the Caps are the team to watch in Washington. Photo from Rock The Red Pitt blog.

While the Skins can’t even dig out a win against teams on the bottom of the league, the Capitals have been beating some of the league’s best.  Wins against Detroit, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have complimented the Caps’ powerful offense, which has posted the second-most goals in the eastern conference.

The team’s points leader is Nicklas Backstrom with 20, while the crazy Russian himself, Alex Ovechkin, has 14.

After the controversial move of trading young goalie Semyon Varlamov for the aging Tomas Vokoun this offseason, there was some anxiety about the goalie situation.  But the old man has proved himself worthy with an 8-3 record and a 92.2 save percentage.

Despite the Caps’ recent losing streak, they’re still the most promising team in Washington. Don’t necessarily give up on the Skins (who knows, maybe Rex Grossman can bring back the winning ways?) but in the meantime, switch your focus to a team that has some actual success, at least so far this year.