Triangle Blog: Terps have been a disappointment

This year has been especially disappointing for football fans in Maryland.  Usually when the Redskins go down the tube we can fall back on UMD for somewhat of a decent season, but this year has been a nightmare for the Terps.

Quarterback Danny O'Brien thorws the ball during the Terps season-opening win over the Miami Hurricanes. O'Brien's play has gone rapidly downhill this season, which is partly the fault of first-year head coach Randy Edsall. Photo courtesy Crabcakessports.com.

With a record of 2-7, they’re an utter disappointment.

After an opening day victory over the Miami Hurricanes and a close played game against a highly ranked West Virginia team, the season took a turn for the worse when the Terps were clobbered in a 38-7 loss against Temple.  After that, the Terps and fans have had nothing to celebrate.  After a win against Towson…yes 1-AA Towson… the Terps have not won a single game.  With quarterback troubles and an ineffective defense, the Terps are reeling more and more each week.  The defense has been quite awful to say the least, allowing at least 21 points every game, not including the Towson game.  The only glimmer of hope is the rushing game, which is ranked 57th in FBS, according to ESPN.

The problem is not the players, but rather the coaching.  Randy Edsall is in his rookie season as head coach for the Terps and has not done much to improve the team.  For instance, quarterback Danny O’Brien won the ACC Rookie of the year last year, as well as being selected a Freshman All-American, but this year he has been playing atrociously.  He was pulled as starter in lieu of C.J. Brown, who has been only slightly more effective.  There is no way that a great freshman quarterback like this would suddenly turn bad in one off-season; it must be the effect of bad-coaching and play calling.

For example, when the Terps played UVA, they were down by three scores with three minutes left.  Yes, it would have been hard to comeback but it was possible.  In a 4th down situation, Edsall decided to go for it instead of just kicking a field goal and making it a two touchdown game.  Of course they don’t get it and lose the ball.  This whole time he had two timeouts left but never used them.  He basically gave up with three minutes left.

For both the Skins and the Terps we guess it’s better luck next year…again.