HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships
Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Triangle Blog: LeBron’s new shoe

Nike released LeBron James’s new signature shoe, the ninth shoe in his series, Oct. 11.  It’s called the “Nike LeBron 9,” and our overall impression is…meh.   Nike says that the shoe was inspired by the air force, but we don’t see anything that resembles a plane or even anything that flies.

The red-on-black Nike LeBron 9 shoes are shown in an advertisement. Despite the hype surrounding the shoes, most of the colors are disappointing and the shoes are too expensive to be worthwhile. Photo courtesy nikelebron.net.

The fact that they haven’t achieved the look they were hoping for doesn’t mean it’s a bad looking shoe, if you pick the right color.  Of the different color schemes on the shoe, the red-on-black limited editions look the best.  The other colors offered make the shoe look extremely sub-par.

We weren’t as impressed with the shoes as the people who made them were.  They said this shoe was a reflection of LeBron’s versatile style of play.  The shoes include a new technology called Flywire and Hyperfuse, along with a combination of Max Air 180 and a Nike Zoom unit for cushioning.  You’re not building a nuclear weapon; you’re building a shoe—get over yourselves.

“From the very beginning of the design process for the LeBron 9, we wanted to break the mold with a shoe that maximized the strengths of a triple threat player like LeBron,” Jason Petrie, the lead designer, told Dime.

Disclaimer: Despite what the designer said, you will not play like King James.

But if you have 170 bucks just lying around and you don’t know what to do with it, this is the perfect shoe for you.  It isn’t made from carbon fiber or leather from an endangered type of monkey, but it does have LeBron’s name on it, so it has to be worth it.