Former soccer standout leaves college team to play professionally

Many young soccer players dream of playing professional soccer, whether it be in the MLS, English Premier League or an international league. Kids begin their careers in recreational soccer and slowly move up the system, eventually playing on select, travel and high school teams—and hopefully beyond. For most athletes, the dream will never come true. For Paul Torres (’09), however, the dream of going professional is now a reality.

Boys soccer star Paul Torres ('09) dribbles the ball for his college team, the Maryland Terrapins, in a game against Virginia Tech last season. Torres is not returning to UMD this fall, instead pursuing professional soccer in European leagues. Photo courtesy UMDterps.com.

After playing two seasons with the Maryland Terrapins, Torres is leaving behind his college soccer career to explore playing professionally in either a Swedish or Danish league.

In his 40-game Maryland career, Torres scored five goals and dished out five assists. He said his two years at school will help him succeed professionally.

“College was a good way for me to develop physically and learn how to manage my time, soccer and social life altogether,” Torres said.

Since their days of playing soccer in the backyard, Torres’ older brother, Sebastian (’07), always had faith in Paul’s potential to play professional soccer.

“Paul played two years up on my recreational team to start out,” Sebastian said. “From an early age he was clearly more talented than most players, and when he started playing for the Bethesda Road Runners, it was evident his future was with soccer.”

Torres was contacted by talent managers from the James Grant Agency following his sophomore season in college. The agents told Torres they had connections in the European soccer world and could help him sign with a team. Putting his faith in the agents, Torres decided to take his career to the next level and forgo his last two years of school.

The agency is currently contacting and sending highlight reels to teams on his behalf. Torres hopes to start playing in either league as soon as possible, which he hopes will be a stepping ladder for bigger European leagues and clubs.

Many teammates asked him not go to professional, not wanting to lose a key member of the team.

“Everyone is going to try to tell you to stay where you are,” Torres said. “But my closest friends understood I was going crazy in that environment in terms of my desperation to play year-round in the most professional setting I could.”

Although Torres’ friends asked him not to leave college, his family fully supported his plan to play professional.

“My family told him to leave college,” Sebastian said. “He can always return to get his degree, but he can never return to the opportunity he has now in his prime.”

Following his recreational career with Montgomery Soccer Incorporated, Torres made the D.C United U-16 Youth academy team. There, he helped the team team win the national championship. He was also named the U-16 Player of the Year.

In high school, Torres was a two-time First Team All-State, All Gazette, All-County, All-Met and All-South, as well as U-17 MLS Cup MVP.

Torres found his transition from high school to college soccer a challenge in the beginning, mainly due to matters off the field.

“I had never been really disciplined in terms of time management and things like nutrition and sleeping well,” he said.

Following his soccer career, Torres hopes to return to college and get his Bachelor’s degree in communications. However, Torres knows his future is with soccer and would not mind starting an academy to help young players.

“Trying to help young players go pro is something I would be happy doing,” Torres said. “I want to do something soccer orientated, but I am really open to anything.”