SAGA yearbook wins two ASPA awards

The school yearbook, SAGA, won two American Scholastic Press Association awards for its 2011 publication, “Details,” yearbook adviser Beth Rockwell announced on Whitnet Sept. 22.

SAGA won one  for overall first place and one for outstanding use of color. The yearbook wins a first-place designation most years, but this is its first time winning an award for the use of color in design, Rockwell said.

Thousands of schools nationwide enter the ASPA contest each year, from which a few hundred schools are selected for the silver award, the highest honor, and for first, second and third places, as well as special mentions.

“The kids are very happy,” Rockwell said.

But there is still room for the yearbook to improve, she said. Along with the awards, the association sends critiques, which the yearbook staff tries to incorporate into its publication the next year.

“When you try to pull in elements of the critique and make changes, then you stand a better chance of getting an award,” Rockwell said. “We take the critiques seriously.”

This year, SAGA will try to include more information about school faculty, a suggestion often given in the critiques, Rockwell said.

“We started to address it last year, but this year, we’ll address it more,” she said. “In yearbooks, because they’re a historical document, the contest judges want a lot more information on faculty than you would think. People automatically think it’s all about seniors and what they’ve done. But it’s a document that people are going to look back at in 50 years. They want to know more about staff, like, ‘Oh, I remember that teacher.’”