Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

Football falls to Churchill, 21-7

The football team lost to the 2-0 Churchill Bulldogs 21-7 on Sept. 10, bringing its record to 1-1.

After a scoreless first quarter, quarterback Michael Flack rushed into the end zone from nine yards out for the first touchdown of the game.

Quarterback Michael Flack intercepts a pass in the end zone. The Vikes struggled on offense, falling to the Bulldogs 21-7 Sept 10. Photo courtesy of Chris Hanessian.

The Bulldogs then got the ball inside Whitman’s ten-yard line, but were unable to convert. The Vikes’ attempt to run out the last 1:08 on the clock was foiled after they fumbled at the 21-yard line. Flack ended the half with an interception in the end zone, keeping the Vikes’ lead at 7-0.

Both teams remained scoreless in the first few minutes of the third quarter. With 7:43 left in the third quarter, safety Zac Morton picked off a pass by Churchill quarterback Lansana Keita.

After three unsuccessful plays, the Vikes made an effort to punt the ball away. The snap was unsuccessful, leading to a 43-yard receiving touchdown for Churchill and equalizing the score at 7-7.

The touchdown was soon followed by a controversial pass interference, giving the Bulldogs an 18-yard gain. The Bulldogs then scored off a six-yard rush, bringing the score to 14-7 going into the fourth quarter.

The game ended with a fumble recovery and a touchdown by Churchill, leaving the score at 21-7.

Ultimately, Churchill’s tough defense proved to be too much for Whitman’s offense.

“Penalties were a huge problem on offense,” defensive lineman Nick Sobczyk said. “We had so many first and longs, second and longs, and that just can’t happen against Kennedy.”

The Vikes hope to recover when they host the 0-2 Kennedy Cavaliers Sept. 16.