Shake Shack brings burgers and custom frozen custard to D.C.

Shake Shack, a fast food chain originally from New York City, opened its first D.C. area store May 17.

Two customers check out the menu at the new Shake Shack in Dupont Circle. Shake Shack, which opened in D.C. May 17, offers burgers, hot dogs, fries and custom frozen custard. Photo by Eyal Hanfling.

The restaurant is located in Dupont Circle and sells hamburgers, hot dogs, fries and frozen custard. Shake Shacks carry special custard shakes called “concretes,” which blend toppings and frozen custard. The Dupont Circle shack sells specialty D.C. concretes called Presidential Sweet, Washington Monu-Mint and Majority Whip.

Unlike the small shack which first opened in New York City in 2004, the Dupont Circle shack has large seating areas and a big kitchen. In the new building, the walls are made of recycled barn wood and the tables of bowling alley floors.

“It’s an amazing location,” manager Michael Vidal said. “We’re not going to try to make a photocopy of a restaurant. Because honestly, that’s not who we are.”

Shake Shack opened in Dupont Circle May 17. Other locations include New York, Connecticut, Florida and Dubai. Photo by Eyal Hanfling.

Shake Shack hired all new employees for the grand opening, which drew a long line before the restaurant was even open.

“I’m really glad that this New York chain has come to D.C.,” cashier Joanne Ongjoco said. “Everyone is enjoying themselves.”

Vidal said he hopes the store will have a positive effect on Dupont Circle.

“It’s a great stop for people to come by and hang out,” Vidal said. “With all the business we’re bringing in, we’re able to help the community more. We care a lot about our surrounding areas.”

A cashier works the line at the new Shake Shack in D.C. Photo by Eyal Hanfling.

On a weekday afternoon, the restaurant welcomed many people to enjoy food. Saturday is the busiest day of the week, Vidal said.

“I’m sneaking out of work right now so I have to hurry back,” one woman said.

Shake Shack already has stores in New York, Connecticut, Florida and Dubai with a new shack opening at Nationals Park later this year.