Art teacher Marjorie Scott to retire at end of the year

Photography and digital art teacher Marjorie Scott will retire at the end of this school year.

Photography and digital art teacher Marjorie Scott will retire at the end of the year. Over her many years at Whitman, she has inspired countless students to pursue art as a profession or as a lifelong hobby. Photo by Nate Rabner.

Scott began teaching commercial and studio art at Whitman immediately after graduating from Trinity College in 1970.  She left in 1976 to teach at Inglewood High School in Los Angeles, Calif., but returned to Whitman in 1986.

While Scott was in California, Whitman experienced significant changes, including adding ninth graders to its student population and expanding from a six-period to an eight-period day. Upon her return, Scott taught photography, commercial art and algebra.

Scott’s passion for art is reflected in her teaching, and as a result, many of Scott’s former students have pursued artistic careers, ranging from professional photography to graphic, clothing and advertisement design.

“I want [students] to know that their own personal vision is something that they should not compromise, but on the same token, they should be aware of how others may perceive it,” Scott said.  “Hopefully they will develop a true appreciation for the creative arts.”

Many students agree that Scott makes lessons both interesting and thought-provoking.

“Her teaching taught me to think creatively about an assignment rather than going the usual routes,” junior Amandine Roche said. “Her teaching added a whole new dimension to photography — more than just shooting and developing but also putting more thought and meaning behind every frame.”

Scott said she plans to travel and visit college friends after retirement.

“I’m looking forward to the adventure,” she said.