Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

Baseball advances to regional semifinals

The baseball team defeated the 13-7 BCC Barons, 9-8, on May 16, increasing its record to 13-4 and moving the team onto the regional semifinals.

The Vikings fell behind early, allowing five runs, including two homeruns, in the top of the first inning.

Starting pitcher Michael Flack earned one of the runs back when he crushed a solo homerun of his own to pull the deficit to 5-1 in the bottom of the first.

The Barons added a run while the Vikings tallied two more runs, one of which came when second baseman Andrew Castagnetti stole home on a pass ball.

The score was 6-3 in favor of the Barons when there was a 30-minute delay for inclimate weather.  The game restarted for a half inning and the Vikings added another run to put the score at 6-4 before another delay was called.

After the delay, the Vikings continued to rally and eventually tied the game at seven in the bottom of the fifth inning off a hit from Michael Yang.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, third baseman and co-captain Paul Balland singled up the middle of the infield but the Baron second baseman was able to prevent the ball from going into outfield.  However, the second baseman committed and error and two scored to give the Vikings their first lead of the game.

The Barons added one more run in the top of the seventh to pull the final score to 9-8.

The Vikings will take on the third-seeded Gaithersburg Trojans at home on May 18.