Haagen-Dazs to move to old Giffords location this summer

There’s yet another upcoming change for the ice cream scene in Bethesda. This summer, Haagen-Dazs will move into the old Gifford’s Ice Cream location, next to the Bethesda Row Theatre.

A group enjoys their Haagen-Dazs ice cream on a warm spring day. This summer, Haagen-Dazs will relocate to Giffords' old location. Photo by Eyal Hanfling.

Haagen-Dazs, which is currently located about two blocks away from its new location, should open relocate by July 1, Bethesda store manager Kee VanEpps said.

“We have to do certain things to make it Haagen-Dazs because it’s a franchise,” VanEpps said. “We’re not going to do anything insanely crazy.”

The original Haagen-Dazs store on Woodmont Ave. will remain open until October, leaving Bethesda with two Haagen-Dazs stores for about three months.

All four Gifford’s locations closed last summer after the owner was found selling Hood Ice Cream, a mass-market brand, as Gifford’s Ice Cream. The Gifford’s space in Bethesda has been unoccupied since then.

Construction materials are stored in the old Giffords' shop, in preparation for renovating the location for Haagen-Dazs. Photo by Eyal Hanfling.

Many students often frequent the Bethesda Row area, and some felt Haagen-Dazs’ move would attract more attention to the store.

“I think it will help business because that part of Bethesda is very popular,” freshman Nathan Bennet said. “Haagen-Dazs has good ice cream, but I think Bethesda needs more variety.”