Gay-Straight Alliance hosts discussion on coming-out and LGBT bullying

The Gay-Straight Alliance hosted a community discussion May 3 to share the experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender college students from Georgetown and George Washington Universities.

Junior Kenny Wesley, who invited members of community to the event in the choral room, led the discussion.

“We actually had too much to talk about,” Wesley said. “I really liked that we sat in a circle because it made the discussion intimate and everyone could see each others’ faces.”

Principal Alan Goodwin also spoke about the administration’s response to bullying. He expressed interest in having members from the GSA talk to staff about acceptance of LGBT students.

“We’re all so lucky that he’s our principal, and his being there really helped develop the event,” Wesley said.

Several parents who attended the event reflected on the coming-out experiences of their children and the welcoming atmosphere at Whitman.

“[The GSA presidents] have created a really nice environment for everyone to be themselves no matter what their gender identity is,” said parent Andy Mason.

College students also shared their coming-out stories and gave tips to the Whitman GSA on ways to combat bullying.

“I think tonight went really well,” said Damian Legacy, a GWU student. “In order to get anywhere, we need to have a conversation. And tonight’s conversation was a good start.”