Boys lacrosse falls to Sherwood, drops record to 7-3

The boys lacrosse team fell to the Sherwood Warriors, 20-11, on May 4, dropping its record to 7-3.

The Warriors started the game off strong, scoring two early goals in the first quarter. A strategic timeout by the Vikes sparked a four goal run going into the second quarter.  Midfielders Christian Sanson and Norris Philleo led the scoring attack, scoring two goals each.

A scary moment for the Vikes occurred in the second quarter when defender Connor Gordon went down with an injury, and didn’t return for the remainder of the game.

Sherwood scored seven unanswered goals in the second quarter, building a 9-4 deficit for the Vikes heading into halftime.

The Warriors scored three goals at the start of the half, but each were immediately answered by attackers Trevor Haines, Sam Oshinsky, and Sanson respectively. Midfielder Ryan Craig also scored, but the Vikes were still down 14-8 entering the final quarter of play.

Sherwood sealed the game in the fourth quarter by scoring six goals, while only allowing Sanson, Craig, and Haines to score, ending the game in a 20-11 loss.

“Our offense played a great game, but for WJ, we need to come out fired up,” defender Ben Weiss said. “We need to set a tone on both defense and offense and just play our game.”

The boys hope to rebound against cross-town rival Walter Johnson (7-4) on the road on May 6.