Student arrested for graffiti, possession of knife

Police arrested a senior male March 30 for drawing graffiti and bringing a weapon onto school property, according to an April 5 crime update from the Bethesda police station.

Graffiti was in several locations, mostly bathrooms, principal Alan Goodwin said. Security staff used surveillance cameras to confirm that the student was in an area where graffiti was found. A search of the student’s backpack revealed graffiti markers, postal stickers, as well as a knife.

Goodwin administered the harshest punishment a principal can give to the student, he said.

The maximum punishment that administrators can give is a ten day suspension and a recommendation for expulsion, according to MCPS policy.

Administrators didn’t notify students or parents about the arrest as they have done earlier this year, when students brought a taser and pellet gun to school.

“We rarely write letters to the community when we have a suspension,” Goodwin said. “Sometimes it’s done if there’s a thought that somebody might be in danger. The knife was almost incidental compared to the vandalism in this case.”

Despite the several students arrested this year for various offenses, Goodwin remains confident about Whitman’s image.

“Nobody’s expressed concerns to me,” he said. “Our reputation is still intact.”