Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

Boys lacrosse suffers first loss of season

The boys lacrosse team fell to the Churchill Bulldogs, 8-5, on April 2, dropping its record to 2-1.

The Bulldogs took an early lead, scoring three goals within the first five minutes. Attacker Trevor Hains scored at the three minute mark, bringing the Vikes within two goals to end the quarter.

The Vikes came within just one goal of the Bulldogs late in the game, but could not pull out the victory. Photo by Kevin Bruns.

Both teams went scoreless five minutes into the second quarter. The Bulldogs, however, ended this drought by scoring two consecutive goals. The Vikes went into halftime down 5-1.

Churchill opened up the half with a goal, giving them a five goal lead, their biggest of the game. Soon after, midfielder Alex Hysong picked a pass off and set up a Viking goal. Attacker Mike Lancelotta found the back of the net off of an assist from midfielder Will Deutsch later in the quarter.

A technical foul by a Churchill player gave the Vikings an advantage and allowed Hains to score again, this time assisted by midfielder Christian Sanson with two minutes left in the quarter. The boys headed into the fourth quarter down 6-3.

Goalie Alex Triay started the half with two vital saves which were soon followed by an unassisted goal by attacker Sam Oshinsky. With a steal by long-stick midfielder Ben Miltenberg, Hains scored yet again, putting the Vikes within one.

Despite offensive efforts, the Vikes could not score again, and allowed the Bulldogs to tack on two more goals, ending the game with a score of 8-5.

The team hopes to improve its record when it hosts the 1-2 Northwest Jaguars on April 6.