Baseball beats Wootton on walk off, 6-5

The baseball team defeated the Wootton Patriots, 6-5, to improve its record to 4-1 on the season on March 31.

Although the Vikings allowed the first batter to reach base, catcher Nick Bode threw the player out while he was trying to steal second base.  Starting pitcher Michael Flack would retire the next two Patriots to end inning.

After the first Viking out was recorded, designated hitter Sam Avayou walked.  However, Avayou became the second out when he was caught stealing second base.  Flack smacked a pitch to right center, but slipped at first base and would eventually be stranded there.

Flack allowed a double by outfielder A.J. Avant-Johnson, but then struck out two Patriots and induced a fly out to right fielder Henry Kuhn to keep the game tied at zero

Left fielder Drew Aherne had the game winning hit against the Patriots. Photo courtesy Ryan McGill.

The Vikings got on the scoreboard in the second inning to take an early lead.  With one out, outfielder Michael Yang lobbed the ball into center for a single.  Second baseman Andrew Castagnetti advanced Yang to second when he singled in the hole between short and third.  First baseman Dan Duffy brought both Yang and Castagnetti home when he doubled on a shot up the middle of the field.

After Kuhn walked and Dionne singled to load the bases, Avayou grounded out to bring Duffy in and take a 3-0 lead heading into the third inning.

Flack recorded his third strikeout when he struck out the first batter he faced in the top of the third inning.  Duffy made a nice play in foul territory for the second out, and Dionne caught a pop out in center to keep the Patriots off the scoreboard.

The Vikings could not add to their lead in the bottom of the third inning, despite Yang walking and advancing to second base on a pass ball.

A Patriot doubled past a diving James Dionne and advanced to third on a pass ball to start off the fourth.  Kuhn made a sliding catch for the first out, but the Patriots crossed the plate for their first run.  The Vikings made two quick outs to prevent further damage.

Although Dionne tried to start a two out rally when he was safe at first on an error and advanced to third on another error, the Vikings could not get the run back and ended the fourth inning up 3-1.

Neither of the teams could plate a runner in the fifth inning, and the score remained the same heading into the sixth.

Patriot third baseman Greg Albertini singled in between short and third, but was stranded when Flack recorded three straight outs, including his sixth strikeout of the game.

The Vikings added an insurance run when Dionne singled to right field, plating Castagenetti, who reached on a fielder’s choice.  Duffy, who hit his second double of the game, was thrown out at home for the last out of the sixth.

The Patriots scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning off of four singles and double, all coming with two outs in the inning to give them their first lead of the game.  The Vikings headed into their final at bat of regulation, down 5-4.

With one out in the bottom of the seventh, Flack hit a high pop up to pitcher Andrew Craig.  However, Craig was unable to catch the pop up and Flack reached first base.  Third baseman Paul Balland came up with a clutch single to keep the inning alive and advance Flack to second base. 

Left fielder Drew Aherne doubled to deep right field, scoring Flack easily to tie the game.  Balland followed close behind Flack and slid home safe to take the walk off victory.

The boys look to take another division victory when they travel to Richard Montgomery to take on the Rockets (1-3) on April 2.