Baseball takes first loss of season

The varsity baseball team lost its first game of the year to the Paint Branch Panthers, 6-4, dropping its record to 3-1 on the season on March 29.

The Vikings started the game off strong when starting pitcher Gabe Steinberg struck out the first Panther he faced. The defense backed Steinberg up and recorded two quick outs for a three up, three down inning.

Second baseman Sam Avayou launched a double into the outfield with one out in the bottom of the first inning. Avayou advanced on a groundout to third base, but was stranded there to end the inning.

Steinberg stuck another Panther out, and after he allowed a hitter to get on base, a fielder’s choice play ended the top of the second inning.

After left fielder Drew Aherne walked and stole second to start the inning, right fielder Henry Kuhn laid down a sacrifice bunt to advance Aherne to third and designated hitter Michael Yang to second base. However, both runners were stranded with two straight outs and the teams remained tied at zero.

The Vikings recorded two quick outs in the third inning, but an error committed in the field allowed a Panther to reach first base. The base runner stole second base and advanced to third on an overthrow. The Panthers would then score the first run of the game on another error to take the lead.

Although shortstop Michael Flack reached base on a walk and stole second, he was stranded there to following inning.

Paint Branch added to their lead in the fourth inning when a Panther crushed a pitch from Steinberg over the fence for a two-run homerun. The Vikings entered their half of the inning down 3-0.

Yang walked with one out in the fourth, but Kuhn grounded into a double play that ended the inning.

The Panthers continued to use their speed to their advantage and once a hitter got on board, he stole second and third to move him into scoring position. A groundout to Avayou would score the Panthers fourth run of the game.

Catcher Nick Bode started a rally for the Vikings in the bottom of the fifth inning when he lobbed a hit between three Panther fielders. After Avayou walked and advanced courtesy runner Ben Page to second, Flack doubled to right center field scoring both of the runners. Flack was stranded on second to end the scoring run and pull the Vikings within two runs.

Relief pitcher Mike West came in for the sixth inning and quickly retired all three of the batters he faced.

Although Yang singled up the middle in the bottom of the sixth inning, the Vikings still were unable to score.

Kuhn came in to pitch the seventh and final inning of regulation. A couple of tough pitches that got away allowed the Panthers to advance their way on the base path and eventually score another run. The Panthers scored another run on a groundout to build a 6-2 run heading into the home half of the seventh.

The Vikings attempted to rally in the bottom of the inning when they hit three straight singles by pinch hitter Andrew Castagnetti, Dionne, and Avayou. Avayou’s single scored pinch runner Josh Biel, but Avayou was caught stealing for the first out of the inning.

Flack grounded out to score Dionne, but the Viking’s rally fell just short.

The boys look to rebound from their first loss when they take on the Wootton Patriots (2-2) at home on March 31.