Girls lacrosse falls to B-CC, evens out record

The girls lacrosse team lost to the B-CC Barons, 13-7, evening their record 1-1 on the season on March 23.

The Lady Vikes grabbed the lead early when attacker Clara Schneider scored off of a pass from midfielder Corrine Lake.

However, the Barons scored four straight goals in eight minutes to claim the lead and pull out to a 4-1 advantage.

The Vikings responded quickly to the Barons fourth goal when midfielder Sommer Wiss ripped a shot with an assist from midfielder Kaitlin Payne.

Although the Vikings struggled to handle the ball and turned it over in their own zone and gave up another goal, midfielder Sarah Backenstoe took an eight meter shot and scored with just under six minutes left to play in the first half.

Midfielder Natasha Schill followed up Backenstoe’s eight meter shot with one of her own two minutes later to pull the Vikings within two goals.

The Vikings held off the B-CC offense and did not allow them to find open players and shots. Co-captain and defender Catherine Block covered a lot of ground to force bad shots from the Barons, which co-captain and goalie Hannah Nowack saved easily.

The Vikings were down 6-4 heading into the second half of play.

The Lady Vikes struggled offensively to begin the second half. The Barons scored four straight goals in the first 10 minutes to open up a 10-4 lead.

Although attacker Claire Block made a nice play when she received a pass from behind the net and instantly ripped it into the upper right corner of the net, the Lady Vikes defense had no solution for Baron attacker Melissa Jaskiewicz, who had five goals on the night.

Schneider added two goals in the final four and a half minutes to give her a hat trick and put the final score at 13-7.

The girls look to rebound from the loss and improve their record back above .500 when they take on the Gaithersburg Trojans away on March 31.