Police look for suspect in Bethesda bank robbery

Colombo Bank was robbed this morning in downtown Bethesda, according to a Montgomery County Police press release.

After robbing the bank, the suspect ran towards the Capital Crescent trail. Photo by Lucy Chen.

The robber, armed with a handgun, entered the bank and demanded an undisclosed amount of cash from the bank teller. No one was injured during the robbery.

A worker at Bradley Food and Beverage in the nearby shopping center said that the police questioned her and her co-workers earlier in the day. She’s more scared of working in Bethesda because of this morning’s robbery, she said.

“There’s too much going on,” she said.

Strosniders Hardware manager Jim Becket said he isn’t worried about a robbery at his store, but has safety precautions in place. Rather, the robbery and recent homicide in Lululemon Athletica serve as a reality check for Bethesda citizens, he said.

“[The bank has] more money than we do,” he said. “We’re more aware, now, of crime in Bethesda. Don’t assume anything. We’re so used to walking out and nothing happening, but there are bad people out there.”

The suspect is described as an African American male, about 50 years-old, six feet tall and 190 pounds, with salt and pepper hair. He was wearing a gray sweatshirt, red hat and carried a red bag.

After the robbery, the suspect fled on foot towards the Capital Crescent Trail area where the police are still investigating.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Robbery Section at (240) 773-5100, or the anonymous tipline for the Crime Solvers division at (240)-773-8477. Crime Solvers is offering a cash reward of up to $1,000.