LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Through Every 15 Minutes, students learn the toll of drinking and driving

As students settled in their seats first period, SGA president Zach Schloss solemnly announced that senior Emily Park had died as a result of a drunk driving accident. For the remainder of the day, the death toll mounted, as Schloss and SGA secretary Sarah Backenstoe proclaimed new fatalities every 15 minutes.So began Every 15 Minutes, a two-day program which amplifies the dangers of drunk and distracted driving.  As part of the first day, 21 students became the “living dead,” walking around the school in black shirts with painted white faces.

Senior Emily Madden (center) watched the car crash during third period while standing alongside senior Emily Park (left) who was the first to die this morning. Photo by Stephanie Haven.

After each death announcement over the PA system, a police officer removed the student from class and read an obituary their parents wrote. For the rest of the day, victims aren’t allowed to speak or communicate with anyone, serving as a reminder of their death.

During third period, selected students, policemen, EMTs and firemen simulated a car crash in front of the school. Seniors assembled in front of the school to witness the scene while all other grades watched a live feed in their classrooms.

The fake crash involved five students. Senior Alex Hobby played the intoxicated driver. The police questioned Hobby and placed him in a police car in handcuffs. Later in the day, Goodwin announced that Hobby was taken to the police station where he’ll stay overnight.

Two of the students who remained at the scene, junior Matt Bruns and senior Helene Benz were covered with a white sheet. The last two victims, junior Samantha Thurber and senior Jeff Gruen, were wheeled to ambulances on stretchers and taken to a hospital.

The students that participated in Every 15 Minutes will spend the night in the River Road Unitarian Universalist Congregation to recoup and prepare for tomorrow’s events.

Senior Nikhil Gupta sits in class at the end of the school day after he "died" during fifth period. Photo by Annie Russell.

During the retreat, students will participate in a variety of activities, including writing a letter to their parents. Each letter begins with “Dear Mom and Dad, every fifteen minutes someone in the United States dies from an alcohol related traffic collision, and today I died. I never had the chance to tell you…….”

In an assembly tomorrow, students will read their letters to their parents and their parents will read similar letter to their children.

Senior Rachel Holden’s brother, sophomore Nick Holden, was one of the victims.

“It’s one thing to see him in the halls, but then to actually have to deliver a speech in the assembly to the school about your brother as if he’s actually dead is very chilling,” Holden said.

Holden said it was strange to know no one in her family could contact Nick for the remainder of the night.  Her younger sister constantly asked about their brother.

“We keep saying ‘I miss Nick’ or ‘where’s Nick?’” Holden said. “My little sister is constantly asking ‘I wonder what Nick’s doing right now and how Nick feels right now.’”

For junior Katie Hunter, the news about the death of her best friend, junior Lydia Koroshetz, didn’t sink in until later that day.

“She wasn’t there to joke around with us anymore at lunch,” Hunter said.  “I realized it once I got home, when I couldn’t text her and thought that she could actually be gone forever.”

[nggallery id=25]