Girls basketball defeats Wootton 44-41, advances in playoffs

The #5 seeded Lady Vikings took down the 4th seeded Wootton Patriots, 44-41, in the regional quarterfinals on Mar. 1.

The first quarter started out close; every time the Vikes would take the lead, the Patriots immediately score out their deficit. At the end of the quarter, with the teams tied, guard Alex Purdy made a 2-pointer  and Center Whitney Kolakowski added a free-throw to make the score 10-7 going into the second quarter.

The teams battled back and forth, tying the game two more times. Guard Rachel Sisco hit 2 free-throws to put the Lady Vikes up 14-12. The Patriots put together a 8-0 run to regain the lead late in the first half. However, forward Yeiwah Brewah and Kelly combined for 5 points in the final minute and ten seconds to pull the Vikings within 1 point.

The Patriots then added a buzzer-beating 2-point shot to put their team up 22-19 heading into halftime.

Brewah started off the second half with a 2-point lay-up to pull the deficit back to one point. Kolakowski hit her free-throws to give the Vikings a 23-22 lead with just under 6 minutes left in the third quarter.

Despite Kolakowski’s relentless play under the boards and grabbing several rebounds, the Lady Vikes struggled to make their shots late in the third quarter. The Patriots ended the quarter on a 15-6 run that gave them a 37-29 lead heading into the final quarter of play.

Kolakowski started off the fourth quarter by stealing the ball away from a Patriot and taking it coast-to-coast for a lay-up. Kolakowski sparked a 7-0 run including another 3-pointer by Kelly and a 2-pointer by Sisco to pull the Lady Vikes within just one point with 5 minutes left to play.

The Patriots opened up a 5 point lead with 3 minutes left, but the Lady Vikes were determined to come back. Sisco and Feldesman hit 2 free-throws a piece to close the gap to one point again.

With just 2 minutes left, Feldesman charged through the paint to grab a rebound and simultaneously put it back up for what proved to be the game-winning shot. The Lady Vikes hit 12 of 13 free-throws in the second half and Kolakowski made 2 clutch free-throws to seal the victory.

“We have worked so hard for moments like tonight,” Kolakowski said. “We knew we had to shut Gabby [Flinchum] out of the game and we were able to really hold her. I am so happy we pulled it out.”

Kolakowski recorded a double-double by leading the team with 14 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Kelly added 8 points of her own, while Brewah and Feldesman had 7 points each.

The Lady Vikes advanced to the regional semi-finals where they will take on undefeated Gaithersburg.

“We have come together as a team and it shows how hard we have been working in practice,” Kelly said. “I know this is trite, but hard work really pays off. The win will just make us work harder. Gaithersburg has a good reputation, but they don’t know what’s coming!”

Watch the Washington Post’s video coverage of the game here!