SGA sells wristbands, collects donations for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

The SGA is selling “Tim and Marcela’s Team” wristbands and collecting money for “Pennies for Patients” as part of its fundraising efforts for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Students buy wristbands during fifth and sixth lunch to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Photo by Billy Bird.

Students can purchase wristbands outside the cafeteria during lunch and donate money to “Pennies for Patients” outside the guidance office in the front of the school.  The SGA also has an online donation site for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

The wristbands represent an effort to recognize Tim King, a freshman last year who passed away from leukemia last summer, and freshman Marcela Falck-Bados, who is currently battling leukemia.  While last year’s wristbands said “Tim’s Team,” Falck-Bados approached  SGA teacher sponsor Sheryl Freedman at the beginning of this year to get involved with fundraising efforts.

“We’ve been communicating with her to see where we can get her voice heard,” Freedman said.  “She’s helped with some publicity, we’d love for her to come to some of the events and speak about her experience.”

The SGA hopes to raise $17,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, to surpass the amount they raised last year.  Additionally, the SGA hopes to raise more money than Walter Johnson, which raised around $8,000 more than Whitman last year.  The competition is part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s annual High School Challenge, which challenges schools throughout Montgomery County, Prince George’s County and Northern Virginia to raise money for the Society during February each year.

“Our biggest competitor is Walter Johnson,” Freedman said.   “ I know their goal this year is $30,000, so we’ll see how we can do.”