Several crew members place at the Mid Atlantic Erg Sprints

The crew team participated in the Mid-Atlantic Erg Sprint on Jan. 29 at TC Williams High School. Seven rowers placed in the top ten in their respective events.

Captain Will Brownlee (right) took home 5th place. Photo courtesy Will Brownlee.

In the junior men’s twenty minute race seniors Jake Ross placed 2nd, Will Brownlee placed 5th, junior Charles Hemsley placed 6th and captain Nico Zavaleta finished 7th out of 90. Brownlee also placed 4th out of 13 participants in the heavy weight 2k and Zavaleta earned 5thplace in the junior 500m.

Due to a late sign up, senior Andrew Thorson raced in the open men’s thirty and competed in the adult league. Despite the setback, he placed 4th and beat girls coach Kirkland Shipley.

In the girls 20 minute race, senior Harriet Dark placed 2nd out of 43 and 3rd out of 70 in the girls 17 year old 2k.

Brownlee, Ross, Dark and Georgia Ratcliff of James Madison High School placed 3rd in the mixed 2k relay.

Sophomore Caroline Crawford earned 2nd out of 64 in the junior women’s lightweight 1500m.

The team has been practicing all year for these events and was satisfied with their results.

“I’m not surprised with our results, those of us who medaled spend the whole year training, including summer, so it’s nice to be acknowledged,” Dark said.