The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships
Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

Football defeats Seneca Valley in overtime

Varsity Football defeated the Seneca Valley Screaming Eagles 16-13, Oct. 30, improving to a strong 7-2 on the season.

The Vikings will face the Churchill Bulldogs next week in a battle of 7-2 rivals. (Photo Courtesy of Chris Hanessian)

The Vikings started off strong in the beginning of the game, scoring a touchdown on only their second drive on a rush by running back Kevin Cecala. But, both teams’ defenses held strong for the rest of the half, not allowing another score.

In the second half, the Vikings let up a late touchdown to send the game into overtime. Although the boys had plenty of scoring chances due to turnovers in regulation, they could not convert.

In high schools, the overtime system is similar to that of colleges. Each team starts with the ball at the 10-yard line and has four downs to score. If one team scores more than the other in a round, for example a touchdown and extra point versus a field goal, then the game is over.

In the first round of overtime, the Vikes managed to score, and due to lackluster extra point kicking throughout the season, head coach Jim Kuhn elected to go for the two-point conversion. The attempt failed, and when Seneca Valley matched the touchdown on their posession, the game seemed all but done. All the Screaming Eagles needed was an extra point to win the game.

Amazingly, the field goal special teams defense blocked the attempt, leading the game to a second round of overtime. This time, it was the Eagles’ turn to go first, and although they got to the one yard line, the defense stopped them on fourth down to gain posession. On offense, the Vikes gained a few yards, but were ultimately pushed back to the 13 yard line after quarterback Henry Kuhn was sacked on third down. The Viking field goal unit was then sent out to the field, and although they had very little success in previous games, replacement kicker Danny Lee put the kick just inside the left upright for the 16-13 victory.

With the Churchill Bulldogs’ loss to Bethesda Chevy Chase, falling to 7-2, Whitman is now tied for third place in the division, and will face the Bulldogs in an away game next week to fight for a playoff seeding.