Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Cava Mezze Grill opens in Bethesda

Like Chipotle, Cava Grill workers build customers' meals in an assembly line set-up. Photo by Stephanie Haven.

Sitting between Tara Thai and Georgetown Cupcake, Cava Mezze Grill opened Jan. 18. The restaurant offers fast, Greek-style food for low prices.

Customers can customize their meal in an assembly-line format and dine-in or take food to-go. Cava replaces Organic to Go, which closed in 2010.

“[The owners] decided to put their generation’s unique spin on the Mediterranean-Greek food they grew up eating,” Cava CEO Brett Schulman said.

The Grill hopes to attract younger customers with the restaurant’s upbeat atmosphere, he said.

“We’ve put a lot of effort into designing the interior of the space,” he said. “It’s very stylish and aesthetically pleasing.”

The menu focuses on naturally healthy food, including grilled meat, salad bowls and falafel as well as the specialty dips and spreads sold in grocery stores.

“I’ve tried the products sold at Whole Foods and I’m looking forward to having a restaurant close by,” senior Madison Dipman said.

Cava plans to open two or three more locations in Washington, D.C. in 2011.

[nggallery id=12]