Student followed home by suspicious vehicle driver

A student’s walk home from school took a frightening turn yesterday when a man driving a white car began to repeatedly pass her while she was walking near Wilson Lane.  The man then got out of his car, at which point the student ran home and later called the police to report the incident.

Although the Whitman area is a relatively safe community, at least one to two students report an instance of a suspicious vehicle following them home after school each year, according to principal Alan Goodwin.

Another student was faced with a very similar situation last month when a white van began following her home from school as she walked down Clearwood Blvd.  Her mother witnessed the scene while exiting a Ride-On-Bus and approached the vehicle, but the driver sped off before she could note the license plate number.

Goodwin said the police are uncertain as to whether the driver involved in last month’s incident is the same one who tracked the student yesterday, as both girls reported that they were followed by white vehicles.

Young girls are typically the targets in these types of dangerous situations, according to Montgomery County Police Department officer Gil Lee.  Lee advised that students walk in groups and carry cell phones to ensure safety. If they notice someone following them, they should call 911 as soon as possible.

“Citizens shouldn’t approach them, but rather contact 911 immediately and let us go investigate,” Lee said. “That’s the bottom line.”

Goodwin advised that students remove themselves from dangerous situations quickly and seek a safe location.

“Its safety first,” Goodwin said. “You need to get yourself out of harms way.”

The police also urge students to try to note the license plate number if possible, which would help the police immensely with their investigation. In fact, the police will typically not even file a police report if the number isn’t noted, according to MCPD officer Melanie Brenner. Because of this, a police report was not filed in the recent case.

Officer Aubrey agrees with Brenner and says it’s the victim’s responsibility to actively observe his or her surroundings if placed in a threatening situation. He says that without the victim’s help, the police will be unable to track down the predator.

“An officer can’t help the victim if the victim is not willing to try and help themselves,” he said.

Goodwin also pointed out, however, that these types of incidents can often be avoided altogether if students are aware of their surroundings while walking home.

“Students often listen to their iPods and then become oblivious to what’s around them,” he said. “A stranger could come up behind them, and they wouldn’t even know it.”

Aubrey said that despite taking safety precautions like walking in groups and staying aware of surroundings, predators are out there and dangerous situations will occur.  He said he believes the key to getting out of these situations is to remain in control.

“You need to keep your wits and stay calm,” he said.