Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Easy ways to avoid supporting animal cruelty

In psychology class, we discussed the term “cognitive dissonance,” which is basically having two contradictory ideas or beliefs at the same time, especially if those beliefs influence your behavior. Many of us experience cognitive dissonance on a daily basis, and one of the most conflicting examples is that of perpetuating animal cruelty and inhumane livestock farming. I can say with a clear conscience that nobody wants to harm animals, it’s just hard to find the best and most productive solutions in our busy lives.

Every day we are faced with choosing among a variety of different meal options and whether to give our money to organizations which claim to treat their animals well. Below are some easy ways to be more conscious and animal-friendly in your everyday decisions:

Avoid Palm Oil

This simple ingredient grows in many Indonesian rainforests, which are being cut down and farmed on a mass scale. As a result, the indigenous orangutans are losing their homes and families; orphaned orangutan babies are being captured and sold as exotic pets. Soon the species may fade altogether. Palm oil shows up in many everyday products like Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, Colgate toothpaste, Dove beauty products, Pringles and Ritz Crackers.

As an everyday consumer, the best option is simply checking what you’re buying. Look for logos like the “Green Palm Sustainability” or “Certified Sustainable Palm Oil” labels. To find out more, click here.

Choose Imitation/Faux Leather

Want that stylish leather jacket? Love that wrap-around leather couch? Just make sure it isn’t real, and you’re good to go. Honestly, nobody will tell the difference. Much of our furniture and clothing is made of leather, and is harvested from animals like cows, goats, sheep and pigs. The softer the fabric, the younger the animal it was taken from. Many companies skin the animals while they are still alive and conscious. Click here to find out more about animal cruelty and ways to help.

The easiest way to tell the difference between the real deal and an imitation is by looking at the tag; if it says “man-made materials” than you’re safe. If you’re still lost, inspect the corners of the fabric and make sure they look tailored, foamy or plastic. Lastly, smell the item. Real leather has a distinct musky smell that cannot be reproduced by the synthetic fabric.

Choose Your Makeup Wisely

Attention girls (and boys, if that’s what you’re into): be careful where you get your makeup. Many cosmetic companies test their products on animals—forcing monkeys, dogs and rabbits to ingest toxic chemicals, while storing them in small, cramped compartments. You can read more about these animals and their inhumane treatment here.

One of the simplest ways to avoid funding these companies is to look out for them while shopping. You’ll be safe if you stay away from these brands: Procter & Gamble, L’Oreal, Unilever, Johnson & Johnson, Reckitt Benckiser, PZ Cussons, GlaxoSmithKline and Church & Dwight. Instead, funnel all the money I know you spend on makeup to these forward-thinking companies with an actual conscience: Lush, Victoria’s Secret, Tommy Hilfiger, Prada, Original Source, Urban Decay, Liz Earle, Faith in Nature, Dentyl, and Nina Ricci. Learn more here.

So next time you’re on a shopping spree, think twice about what you’re buying and which companies you’re supporting. Consider the repercussions of what you take home in your bag and put on your shelf. What’s it made out of? Who made it and what are their values? Set an example—be the change you wish to see in the world.