Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Christmas trees: good and bad places to buy

Picking the right Christmas tree is an important, often tricky holiday tradition. Whether you’re searching for a tall tree to impress the neighbors or one with sturdy branches just for decorating, this Christmas tree guide should help to save hours of aimless wandering and make your holiday season glow.

Before you head to the nearest tree stand, remember to make a gameplan. Choose the traditional Fraser fir if you’re looking for a decorateable tree with good needle retention, but choose the eastern white pine if you want a long-lasting tree. Keep in mind that the eastern white pine won’t support heavier ornaments.

Good Deals

The Home Depot in Gaithersburg: While a bit of a drive, this is your No. 1 destination for inexpensive Christmas trees. From the standard Fraser fir to the exotic Scotch pine and white firs, it has a wide-variety and large selection of trees.
Price: $20 to $100.

St. Bartholomew’s Church on River Road: The church hosts an outdoor Christmas tree sale in its parking lot for three weeks in December. Located just off River Road, it’s conveniently located and moderately priced.
Price: $70 and above.

Cabin John roadside stands along Seven Locks Road and Tuckerman Lane: Near Cabin John Shopping Center, these stands are home to a number of tree sales. These sites are your best bet for finding unique trees.
Price: $75 to $200.

Bad Deals

Bethesda roadside stands: Bethesda is home to a variety of roadside Christmas tree businesses on Woodmont Avenue and Old Georgetown Road, but these venders are much more expensive than other places and have very limited tree selections.
Price: $100-$200