County’s first IMAX screen opens

Some lucky fans didn’t have to venture far to attend the IMAX midnight premiere of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part One.”

The sold-out midnight premiere of “Deathly Hallows” at Regal Majestic Stadium 20 in downtown Silver Spring was the first movie shown in IMAX in Montgomery County.

The curved 72-by-53-foot IMAX screen features digitally remastered movies with a superior surround sound system and higher image resolution than those of regular movies, according to a Regal press release.

An IMAX adult ticket at Regal costs $6.50 more than a regular adult ticket, but the high ticket price was worth it, said junior Sara Haire, who saw “Deathly Hallows” in IMAX at Regal on opening day.

“Once you see the movie in IMAX, it’s hard to go back to a normal screen,” she said. “It was extremely cool to be surrounded by the movie completely. You literally feel like you’re there.”

The plan for an IMAX screen began almost a year ago, Silver Spring property manager Jennifer Nettles said.  Regal had enough screens and theater space to update an existing screen to IMAX standards, she said.

Bringing IMAX to Regal Majestic enhances the image of the theatre, Nettles said.

“Regal Majestic is a huge regional draw,” she said. “The other businesses and residents are always excited when we get something new. What type of effect it will have, if any, only time will tell.”

Upcoming Regal IMAX movies include “Tron: Legacy” in 3D on Dec. 17 and “The Green Hornet” in 3D on Jan. 14.