Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Q&A with E! News anchor Giuliana Rancic (’92)

Whitman alum and E! News anchor Giuliana Rancic (’92) recently hosted the National Italian American Foundation’s annual ‘Expo Italia’ gala at the Washington Hilton Hotel in D.C. from Oct. 22 to Oct.23.The two-day event featured everything from current Italian music, models and cars to local Italian businesses. Rancic remembers having to pass out pamphlets at the event as a teenager because her mother wanted her to appreciate her cultural background. Rancic spoke with the Black & White about her heritage, advice for aspiring journalists and Whitman memories.

Photo by Juelia Fong.

Black&White: How do you remain connected to your Italian roots?

Giuliana Rancic: I try to speak and practice my Italian at home whenever I can. I remember growing up in an only Italian-speaking household and neither of my parents spoke English. Back then, I used to be frustrated as a teen and asked them constantly, “Why can’t you just learn English?” Now, I understand that they were just trying to hold on to their heritage, and I respect that. It’s important to remain connected to your culture and where you’re from.

B&W: How did you get your start at the E! Network?

GR: I started out by getting my undergraduate degree in journalism at the University of Maryland. Then, I got my masters in journalism from American University. To get my big break, I did everything. I kept sending my demo tapes to E! and getting no response. Then one day, I was called. I like giving people information, especially gossip, because I like giving people something to discuss. Entertainment news is a way for people to escape.

B&W: What is a day in your life like?

GR: First, I have a 6 a.m. meeting at E! News, then we shoot the episode at noon. Then I’ll often do interviews on the red carpet and maybe do additional interviews with celebrities. Things are getting busier, though, because E! News is starting to be one hour long, rather than half an hour.

B&W: What advice would you give to aspiring journalists?

GR: Do everything that you can to get what you want, even if it means starting at the very bottom. I didn’t make money for six years after I finished school. Don’t worry about making money. I believe things fell into place and people helped me along the way and liked me because I was the first to work and the very last to leave the office.  I worked hard, and never asked questions about money.

B&W: Did you know what you wanted to do when you were in high school?

GR: I definitely knew that I wanted to do news. I thought that hard news was my calling. I wanted to have NBC4 news anchor Barbara Harrison’s job, but I realized that I was more cut out for entertainment news. Don’t always listen to others. Chase what you’re good at.

B&W: What is your favorite Whitman memory?

GR: I’m not going to lie and say it was the classes. My favorite memory was having good times and fun with my friends during school and on the weekends. I also loved lunchtime. My social life was my fondest memory. I was a B student, but kind of a rebel. I cut class and I actually had the record for more absences than any other student.