Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Baldrige reps evaluate Whitman, MCPS for national award

Representatives from the Baldrige foundation visited Whitman Oct. 18 to evaluate MCPS for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, an annual award that recognizes organizations for excellent performance.

Evaluators assessed the quality of the education, focusing on communication between the administration and staff, and implementation of the county’s curriculum. The foundation chose MCPS  as a finalist among school systems across the county.

Before choosing a winner, evaluators will visit 33 schools in the county. The foundation will announce the winner in November. While there is no monetary prize for winning, the county would receive national recognition.

“Whitman is a good representation of all the excellent educational practices that they’re looking for,” principal Alan Goodwin said. “We use data to drive instruction, run a collaborative effort among different parties and employ equitable teaching practices.”

Goodwin showed representatives the media center, the choral room and the career center. They spoke to a group of resource teachers, faculty and members of the PTSA about their roles and responsibilities.

The foundation also chose MCPS as a finalist last year, but it didn’t win. Representatives didn’t visit Whitman last year.