MCPS superintendent will retire at the end of this school year

After 11 years as Montgomery County superintendent, Jerry Weast will retire June 30, 2011.

Weast joined MCPS in July 1999. He won Maryland superintendent of the year in 2003.

“Over the past 11 years, Dr. Weast has provided this district with unwavering leadership, vision and passion,” Board of Education President Patricia O’Neill said in a press release. “Working collaboratively with the board, the community and our employees, he has guided us through one of the most comprehensive and successful school reform efforts in the nation, the results of which will have a positive impact for generations of children and adults.”

Weast is the second longest serving superintendent in MCPS history. Edwin Broome who served from 1917 to 1953, was superintendent for 36 years.

“As I look back on our 11 years together and reflect on the tremendous amount of work we have done, it is clear to me that MCPS is on extremely solid footing and is well-positioned for future success,” Weast said in a letter to the BOE. “The systemic processes we have put in place have, over time, spurred a cultural change that will sustain progress.”