“Race” powerfully captures the life and impact of Jesse Owens

Directed by Stephen Hopkins and released Feb. 19, “Race” chronicles the life story of renowned runner Jesse Owens (played by Stephan James), from his humble beginnings in Ohio to his victory at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.

The movie follows Owens’ athletic career from his time at Ohio State University. At the first meet of his college track season, Owens breaks three world records in under 45 minutes. It isn’t a surprise that he then qualifies for the Olympic games in Berlin.

The film brilliantly captures the strong relationship between Owens and his coach Larry Snyder (Jason Sudeikis). Snyder acts as one of Owens’ key motivators throughout the whole film.

Owens’ family also acts as a supportive force during his preparation for the Olympics, but it would have been nice to get to know the family characters more within the context of the film. In the beginning, Owens’ parents make a brief appearance, but remain pretty invisible for the rest of the movie. While the audience meets his wife Ruth (Shanice Banton) and his daughter Gloria (Yvanna-Rose Leblanc), we don’t really know the people that raised Owens and experience how they felt watching their son compete in the Olympics 4,000 miles away from home.

The film spans beyond the excitement of the athletics of Owens’ career, though: it illustrates many of the pressures Owens faced as a black man deciding whether or not to attend the Olympics in Berlin during Adolf Hitler’s oppressive reign.

James realistically portrays the frustration, determination, anger and passion that accompanied Owens’ decision to compete despite NAACP requests for Owens to boycott the games in Berlin.

Because of the Nazi regime, the U.S. delegation considered not attending the games at all. While this is an important aspect of the story, the movie spends too much time caught up in politics, showing several long meetings between the head of the Olympic committee and German officials, which at times breaks the flow of the storyline and detracts from Owens’ journey.

Owens’ walk into the Olympic arena is a walk of pride to prove racist attitudes wrong and a highlight of the movie. The scene is extremely well-filmed, capturing Owens’ exhilaration, excitement, and fear as he strides into the stadium, emerging from the darkness of the tunnel and into the bright light of the competition. Millions of people surround the track as he takes it all in.

After completing four events, the 100-yard dash, 200-yard dash, long jump and 400-meter relay, Owens proves victorious by winning gold in every event.

Not only does Owens’ success threaten Hitler’s reign on an international stage, but during Owens’ time in Berlin he develops an extremely close relationship with German long jumper Luz Long (David Kross). They develop a bond that is subtle yet powerful. One of the most moving parts of the movie was when the two take a victory lap hand in hand.

“Race” is worth the watch: it successfully illustrates the ups and downs of Owen’ journey to gold in a both moving and riveting story.

Q&A with Owens’ granddaughter

Some know Jesse Owens as the track star and four-time Olympic gold medalist — others know him as simply “grand-dad”.

Owens' granddaughter, Marlene Dortch, feels that although some aspects of the movie accurately portrayed Owens, but others, like the way he spoke, were not. Photo courtesy of Marlene Dortch.
Owens’ granddaughter, Marlene Dortch, feels that although some aspects of the movie accurately portrayed Owens, but others, like the way he spoke, were not. Photo courtesy of Marlene Dortch.

The Black and White interviewed Marlene Dortch, Jesse Owen’s granddaughter, to talk about Owens’ life and to discuss the new movie “Race”: a documentary about Owens’ athletic legacy and personal journey.

Dortch said she is excited for new generations to learn about her grandfather’s story.

B&W: Did you think the movie was cast well?

MD: I love Stefan James, who plays my grandfather. He’s a wonderful young man and I think he really captured the kindness of my grandfather. The young women who plays my grandmother—I only met her once, seems very sweet. My grandmother was very elegant, very classy, and I think she portrays that well. There are little things in the film that I notice that maybe others wouldn’t: the woman who plays my grandmother is always dressed very nice—her hair always looks nice, she always has earrings, and that’s how my grandmother was. I just thought that was a nice touch, that they got that about her. In 1936 they didn’t have much money at all, but she was always quite lovely. I think that Jason, who plays my grandfather’s coach, is really good in that role as well.

B&W: Do you think the movie is an accurate depiction?

MD: I think the way they had [Owens] talk—he never would have said “ain’t.” I think he was much more articulate than what was portrayed. If you look at film clips from the time there are a few where they are talking to him after the race and he talks about how “the competition was grand.”

B&W: Can you describe how it felt to watch a movie about someone you knew so personally?

MD: It’s funny. My husband and my son and I had a screening just the three of us before we went to the screening with a lot of people at the big DC premiere. I’m watching and listening to them say the names of my grandfather and my grandmother, and there’s a baby in the movie and her name is Gloria and that’s my mom. I got pulled into the story and it wasn’t until the end when they show real photographs of my grandparents and that’s when it was just so emotional for me. That’s when it really hit me. It’s very moving that their story would be on the big screen. I just felt so proud. I really just missed them alot, I wish they were here so they could see this wonderful thing.

B&W: What is the most prominent quality you remember about your grandfather?

MD: The thing about him was that he was just one of those people who kind up light up a room when they come in. He was very charismatic—there was just something about his presence that made people comfortable. He was very warm and friendly and very loving as grandparent too. One thing I hear from several people is that even though he was this famous iconic person in history and my sister and cousin, he really was just grandad to us.

B&W: When you were younger did he always have stories to tell you about the Olympics?

MD: No, he never talked about it. In his forties, he started his own public relations firm, so he did a lot of motivational speaking. He spoke at conventions, meetings, and conferences and was a spokesperson, so he pretty much told his story about his life all the time, so when he was with family that was not what we talked about. He loved Westerns, he loved playing golf, swimming—so we would do those kinds of things and go to the pool, go to the beach, just spend time at home like a family.

B&W: What are your hopes for this movie?

MD: I think that what our family hopes, or at least what I hope from this movie is that there just be another generation of people who are inspired by his life and his story. It crosses so many themes that are relevant today: racism, sports, politics, and family and athletes and the pressures. There’s just so many things from 80 years ago that are pertinent today. I think people of all ages can be inspired. I hope everyone can find something they can relate to in the film and be inspired to reach their gold in whatever arena that is.