In memoriam: former security head Andy Weiss

The Whitman community lost a colleague and friend when former security head Andy Weiss passed away over winter break.

Weiss worked at Whitman for over 16 years, first as a security assistant and then as security team leader before retiring in 2012 for health reasons.

Weiss is remembered for the bonds he was able to form with students—his approachable nature was admired by students and staff alike.

“He was not a strong-arm kind of security team leader,” principal Alan Goodwin said. “He tried to build relationships and be able to work through scenarios based on those relationships.”

Not only did Weiss reach out to students, but he engaged with them as a friend rather than a superior, security assistant Paul Marshall said.

“The kids could make fun of him with skits and stuff like that, and it never got him unhappy,” Marshall said.

Weiss also maintained a reputation as a jokester throughout his career, brightening the days of those around him.

“He helped keep spirits up with his quick, humorous wit,” Goodwin said in an email to staff.

Weiss’ upbeat demeanor carried over into his task as security team member. He was dedicated to his work, taking pride in all of his tasks and finding time to enjoy the little perks of his position, security team leader Cherisse Milliner said.

Goodwin noted that Weiss was particularly apt at de-escalating situations, and was responsible for implementing security measures at football games including positioning staff members.

Weiss built strong relationships with staff as well, and enjoyed shopping for staff events. He continued to communicate with various staff members throughout his retirement.