Does love really have a price?

Senior Noah Gavil cuts the challah as part of the Shabbat dinner he and senior Sammy Zeisel prepared for the "Jewish Appreciation Package."Photo courtesy of Sammy Zeisel.

Junior Nicky Kaufman is miffed. He paid $440 at the February Boy Auction for a date with the “Hyphy Crew,” a package composed of juniors Connor Gordon, Miles Davis and Bryan Joel. But he has yet to hear from any of them about plans for their outing.

“I’m kind of annoyed,” Kaufman said. “I think I’m going to have to call them and tell them they owe me my date.”

Kaufman isn’t alone. Many students who bought dates at the auction find that busy lives and hectic schedules prove to be major roadblocks to making plans.

Senior Amol Mehta still hasn’t taken the four girls who bought his date on their trip to the zoo. But one of the girls says this was a mutual decision among everyone in the group.

“We’ve all been waiting for better weather,” senior Nina Slesinger said. “And while there’s a chance the date won’t happen, we’re really hoping it will.”

Senior Luke Rozansky found that packed schedules posed more problems for his “s’mores by the fire” date than the weather.

“It’s just been really busy at the end of senior year,” he said. “I’ll probably go at the end of the month, or once the school year’s over.”

Senior Sam Lilek hasn’t taken his date swing-dancing, and doesn’t anticipate that he will any time soon.

“The girl who bought me decided that she didn’t actually want to go dancing,” he said. “But it was money for a good cause, I guess.”

But not everyone’s plans fell flat. Seniors Noah Gavil and Sammy Zeisel swiftly delivered on their “Jewish Appreciation Package,” in which they offered Shabbat dinner and a chance to see “Fiddler on the Roof.” Senior Itai Farhi originally bought the pair at the auction, but seniors Sarah Blush, Nina Slesinger and Brigit Baglien all joined in at the dinner, which included Gavil’s matzah ball soup and brisket.

“It was just a group date,” Gavil said. “It wasn’t romantic at all, but it was a lot of fun.”

Students’ enthusiasm for the Boy Auction convinced organizers that they should hold the event again next year. The event raised $4,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society—more money than all of last year’s fundraising efforts combined.

“I was only expecting, if we were lucky, a thousand dollars,” director Rachel Norris said. “$4000 was beyond my belief. I was ecstatic.”