Guide to lunchtime sushi in Bethesda

The 46 minutes of freedom seniors have during lunch is a rite of passage at Whitman. What better way to spend that precious break than to grab some delicious sushi? Because it’s quick, easy and cheap, sushi is a staple for seniors and their underclassmen friends. The following list ranks fan favorites as well as overlooked sushi options in Westbard, Bethesda Row and everywhere else accessible for your lunchtime needs.

Kim’s Yirasai

A six minute drive from Whitman, Yirisai is available for takeout or dine-in during the period.

Because of its close proximity to Whitman, Yirisai is a student favorite. Photo by Naomi Ravick.
Because of its close proximity to Whitman, Yirisai is fan favorite for students. Photo by Naomi Ravick.

Yirasai has been a Whitman hotspot for years, as evident by the dozens of students up on the famous picture wall. Students can call in for pickup or order upon arrival for a quick and easy sit-down meal. With fast service and extremely cheap prices, it’s no wonder that this gem is a Whitman favorite. Located in the soon-closing Westbard shopping district, Yirasai will still live on in Whitman students’ memories for a long time. A favorite of students and alumni alike, average prices are around five dollars per roll. The only drawback of Yirasai is that it doesn’t open until 11:30 am, so everyone in fifth lunch is out of luck. But everyone in sixth can sushi on.

Price: 4/5
Distance from Whitman: 5/5
Quality of Sushi: 5/5

Aji-Nippon

Aji-Nippon is a seven minute drive from Whitman in a hidden corner in downtown Bethesda.

hough it's not incredibly popular among students, Aji Nippon has a long-standing legacy in Bethesda. Photo by Naomi Ravick.
Though it’s not incredibly popular among students, Aji-Nippon has a long-standing legacy in Bethesda. Photo by Naomi Ravick.

Located next to the CVS on Arlington, this sushi hotspot is slightly more expensive than Yirasai, with average prices around six to seven dollars. It opens at 11 a.m. so it’s available for 5th lunch sushi fans who will appreciate the 4.5/5 star rating that the restaurant received on Tripadvisor. A historic Bethesda landmark since its opening date in 1988, Aji-Nippon is an underrated restaurant that Whitman students have overlooked in the past.

Price: 3/5
Distance from Whitman: 3/5
Quality of Sushi: 4/5

Satsuma

Satsuma is a nine minute drive from Whitman, and it’s truly off the beaten path in terms of Bethesda sushi.

With one dollar sushi days, Satsuma is a great deal for those with a tight budget. Photo by Naomi Ravick.

Located close to the Starbucks in “Old Bethesda”, it’s a bit of a close cut for lunch but definitely worth the late arrival. Between soups, salads and ramen, the restaurant has options for everyone. Satsuma opens 11:30 a.m. and rolls cost around five or six dollars. The best part of this little sushi and ramen bar is its one-dollar sushi days. On certain days of the month all of the sushi is priced at just one dollar per roll, and at that price, there’s no hesitation to make the trek. If you aren’t comfortable with an unexcused tardy, a takeout order may be a better option.

Price: 5/5
Distance from Whitman: 2/5
Quality of Sushi: 4/5

Hanaro

Hanaro is approximately 10 minutes away from Whitman and is located in ‘Old Bethesda’ down the street from the Hard Times Cafe.

With tons of sushi options and interesting combos available, Hanaro's menu won't get old for students. Photo by Naomi Ravick.
With tons of sushi options and interesting combos available, Hanaro’s menu won’t get old for students. Photo by Naomi Ravick.

With unique signature rolls, like the cherry blossom and the fire cracker, as well as classic sushi rolls, this restaurant has tons of combinations of sushi choices. Although prices are a little steeper than other places at around seven to eight dollars for an average roll, the unique combinations are hard to find anywhere else. Sushi off the a-la-carte menu comes with two pieces, so while at face value it might seem a little bit pricier, it’s important to remember that you are getting more bang for your buck. The restaurant is relaxed and definitely worth the sit down if you have time, but the 10 minute distance makes takeout a more viable option for lunch. Hanaro also opens at 11:00 a.m., making it available for fifth lunch.

Price: 3/5
Distance from Whitman: 1/5
Quality of sushi: 5/5

Tako Grill

Tako Grill serves contemporary Japanese tapas as well as sushi. Opening at 11:30 a.m. and located eight minutes away from Whitman, this is a great option for not just sushi but other types of Japanese foods.

Unlike other Japanese restaurants, Tako Grill provides customers with many non-sushi Japanese dishes. Photo by Naomi Ravick.

With rolls averaging around four or five dollars, it’s definitely one of the cheaper options. Located behind Fancy Cakes by Leslie and SoulCycle, Tako Grill is right in the heart of Bethesda. It isn’t the closest lunchtime option but, with varieties of soups, salads and sushi, it’s good for exploring the non-sushi side of Japanese cuisine.

Price: 4/5
Distance from Whitman: 3/5
Quality of sushi: 3/5