Album review: Maddie and Tae’s “Start Here”

Madison Marlow and Taylor Dye’s debut album “Start Here”, featuring country music from a female point of view, instantly grabbed media attention when it came out in August and soared to the top of country music charts.

“Start Here” is made up of 11 tracks of honest takes on the hardships of growing up, something many high school students can sympathize with.

The duo, both 20 years old, met as 15-year-olds at a music camp before writing their first single, “Girl in a Country Song,” in 2014. The song soon became a country music sensation, coming in at number one on the Country Airplay charts. It was the second song ever written by a female duo to reach the top.

After careful review, The Black & White has come up with a list of four tracks that coincide perfectly with some stereotypical teenage moments.

When you start a new chapter in your life: The duo’s second single “Fly” is the quintessential uplifting, slow-paced song with an inspirational chorus. It’s the perfect listen for when you’re feeling sad or going through a tough time. The lyrics about the duo’s move to Nashville at a young age especially speak to anyone having trouble starting something new in their life, like a transition to high school or college. Hearing the acoustic guitar, the melody and the message may cause déjà vu for fans of old, classic Taylor Swift ballads.

After being mistreated by a guy: “Girl in a Country Song”’s catchy chorus and upbeat tune is perfect to sing along to when driving down open roads with your windows down. The melody and lyrics fit the model for a popular country song, but the song’s popularity stems from its feminist twist. They sing “Like all we’re good for is looking good for is looking good for you and your friends on the weekend, nothing more” and belt about all the annoyances girls go through to impress guys. They vocalize the importance of men respecting females and not just treating them as objects.

When you’ve just gone through a bad breakup: A relatable song for the broken-hearted is “Downside of Growing Up”. The acoustic guitar and slow tempo can relax your post-breakup nerves. They sing, “It starts out as a simple date. Before too long, he’s your everything. ‘Till he leaves you standing in a cloud of dust. Yeah, that’s the downside of growing up.” The lyrics speak to people after their first heartbreak and reassure that the pain is just a learning experience.

When you have been bullied: Everyone has had an experience with bullies and “mean girls” and hopefully has experienced standing up to them. “Sierra” features a sassy tune and clever lyrics. The chorus captures the voice of victims of bullies and embraces their strength, saying, “One day, you might need those friends that you ditched. Sierra, Sierra, life ain’t all tiaras. You’re gonna find out that karma’s a…”

Correction: The duo are both 20 years old, not 18 and 19 as previously appeared in the story.