Halloween going out guide

Halloween is a holiday that a lot of us tend to feel too old for. Between the age-inappropriate trick-or-treating and the overdone idea of going to Markoff’s for yet another year, Halloween has become a bit of a challenge. This list includes fresh and new Halloween-appropriate outings for the average high school student who just wants to have some fun this October 31.

Escape Room Live

Imagine the board game ‘Clue’ from your childhood. Now imagine being trapped in a life-sized version of the game, while locked in a room with your friends. What better way to get into the Halloween mood? Escape Room Live, with locations in Alexandria and DC, puts players in a time-ticking mystery that has to be solved before it’s too late.

Located close to the Foggy Bottom metro, it’s easy to make a day or an evening out of the Escape Room experience. With over 10 restaurants and eateries within two blocks, combined with the mystery of the game, it’s sure to be the perfect Halloween experience. Tickets are approximately $28 a person.

Ghost Tours

D.C. is a city of politics and controversy—but not many associate our historic capitol with ghosts. Washington D.C. Ghost Tours aims to change this perspective, especially around Halloween. With tours under $20 a person, this is a great excuse to go to dinner on Capitol Hill, take a walk around the monuments at night and tour the supposed ghosts sites that still haunt the Capitol building today.

Crystal Scream

Outdoor movies are a retro classic making a comeback. This Halloween, what better way to spend your night than with an outdoor horror movie? Every Monday of October at sundown in Crystal City, a free horror movie is shown at an outdoor theatre. All movies end by 8:30 pm, leaving plenty of time to get homework done-—that is, if you aren’t too scared.

DC Dead

If you’re sick of going to Markoff’s, it’s probably time to try something new. DC Dead is an intense game combining a zombie chase and a haunted house that will ensure an active night for you and your friends. Tickets are $35, so the event is on the pricy side, but 45 minutes of interactive fun make it worth the cost. At this event located at the Anacostia Playhouse, players are sent with neurotoxin darts and their cunning instincts to find the one weapon to destroy the zombies before time runs out.