Whitman welcomes new special education teachers

After losing six special education teachers last June, the Whitman community welcomed five new teachers to its special education department this year. Each of these teachers comes from a different career path in the special education field.

Ryan Mullin
12041055_835482036570612_1981412275_o

Working with students from the minute they wake up in the morning to the minute they leave school was reality for special education teacher Ryan Mullin, but now he must get used to the standard seven-hour school day.

For the past four years, Mullin worked at The Guild in MA, a boarding and day school open 24/7.

“You were with some kids from the moment they woke up until they left school,” he said. “I built some really strong relationships and saw all of my students grow in some aspect that will lead them to live a more independent lifestyle—which is a really cool feeling.”

Mullin described how he learned to value every development the special education students made, whether in or out of school.

“My experiences helped me appreciate even the smallest iotas of progress because you went through the struggle with these students together,” he said. “You wanted them so badly to use a new skill you were teaching them and sometimes it took them months, but when they got there it was great.”

Mullin will use these past experiences to help provide success for Whitman students.

He said that the interaction between special education students and general education students at Whitman amazed him.

“The openness of the students that are in general education classrooms to the special education students that I work with—seeing those two groups of students interact is really great,” Mullin said.

Nicole Maury
12037819_835482033237279_530509967_o
Returning to Whitman for a fresh perspective, special education teacher Nicole Maury (‘08) joins the special education department for her first year as a full-time teacher.

“I’ve been interested in teaching since I took Mrs. Eiserike’s Child Development class from 2004-2008,” she said. “She inspired me to become a teacher.”

Maury explained that her time at University of Maryland influenced her to specialize in special education. As an education major, she said she had to take a variety of special education courses, which is what sparked her interest in that specific field.

She emphasized that special education students are not very different from students who don’t have special needs.

“They just want to fit in, make friends, and accomplish his or her dreams just like everyone else does,” she said. “I’ve always known this, but it has become even more apparent to me since I started teaching these amazing people.”

Rachel Anderson
12022976_662058630603411_1200656780_n

Rachel Anderson was adamant about being a science teacher from a young age, but when she actually began teaching, she found her true passion in working with special education students.

“When I was a kid I didn’t ask for a Barbie, I wanted a microscope and a chemistry set,” Rachel Anderson, special education and science teacher, said. “I have always been fascinated by the world around me but I did not find my love for special education until later in life.”

Early in her career, she realized she had a talent for breaking down information and making it more accessible to special education students.

By providing meaningful hands-on activities, Anderson attempts to give her students a variety of opportunities to meet the standard.

She said the most important thing she can do is have confidence in her students and their ability to be successful.

“I am in awe of the ability of my students to overcome their individual challenges and find their own path to their goals,” she said.

Daniel Halter
12032474_835482116570604_1783777912_n
Considering the long line of educators in his family, Daniel Halter was not surprised by his own decision to pursue a career as a special education teacher.

“I have a lot of teachers in my family and my uncle was superintendent for the school district where I grew up—so I had a feeling I would end up teaching,” Halter said.

Not only did he have teachers in his family, but he also felt a special tie to the special needs community because of his disabled brother, and he too was placed in special reading classes due to dyslexia.

“My older brother was in a wheelchair and I witnessed the challenges he faced in school, so I wanted to work with disabled students,” Halter said.

At Whitman, Halter works as a special education resource teacher with a concentration in students with emotional disabilities.

Observing how his parents never lost their patience or gave up when helping his brother, Halter uses this model when working with his students.

“They deal with hardships that are unknown, but they still give you a smile and respect,” he said. “So when I get in a rut, I stop and count my blessings and try [to] direct that good energy to my students.”

Diane Nason
12050542_835482019903947_1162739962_o (1)

Making learning accessible and enjoyable for all students has always been a dream of special education teacher Diane Nason.

“As a special education teacher I try to make learning fun and teach information in a way that students understand and remember the information,” Nason said.

From a young age, she knew she wanted not only to be a teacher, but to be a special education teacher.

“I have always pictured myself working with children with all different talents and abilities,” Nason said. “All students have something special to bring to the table with their unique strengths and personalities.”

She says the transition to Whitman has been very smooth and welcoming: “I’m looking forward to working at Whitman and hope my excitement towards teaching and learning reaches all my students.”