NAIA bans postseason competition for transgender and nonbinary athletes
Girls lacrosse falls to Broadneck 16–8 in state semifinal
Baseball defeats Montgomery Blair 7–3 in state quarterfinals
Softball falls to Walter Johnson 7–4 in regional finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School

Weekly news roundup: September 28

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia.
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia.

Volkswagen installed software to cheat on emissions tests

On Tuesday, the German car company admitted installing software in 11 million cars that cheated on emissions tests. The admission forced the chief executive to resign. As a result, Volkswagen shares declined 34 percent, and the company faces as much as $18 billion in penalties. Click here to learn about the decisions eight years ago that fueled the scandal.

Speaker of the House John Boehner to resign

Boehner announced Friday that he would step down at the end of October amid pressure from fellow conservatives. In Boehner’s five-year tenure, conservatives have pushed him to be harsher with President Obama on issues such as government spending, abortion and health care. Recently, tensions rose thanks to need to fund the government by the end of the month and the threat of another government shutdown. Click here to learn more about his resignation and its response.

Hundreds killed in Hajj pilgrimage during stampede

Millions gathered in Saudi Arabia last week for the pilgrimage that is religiously required for all male Muslims who are capable to make at some point in their lifetime. 769 people were killed in the stampede, while at least 934 people were injured. Recently, Iran’s leader said that Saudi Arabia should take responsibility for the “grave incident.” Click here to learn more about the tragic event.