LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

Football season preview

The football team will look to get back on track this season after a 4–6 record last season despite a smaller roster and a difficult schedule.

The team will face three teams in the Washington Post’s preseason top 10: Damascus, Quince Orchard and reigning state champion Northwest.

Daunting as the schedule may seem, running back Gunnar Morton said the he thinks the team will still succeed.

“I expect us to have a great season despite the hard schedule that Montgomery County has given us,” he said.

Running back Gunnar Morton carries the ball in last years game against Wooton. Photo by Nick Anderson.
Running back Gunnar Morton carries the ball in last year’s game against Wooton. Photo by Nick Anderson.

The team also lost several key starters to graduation, including quarterback Evan Smith, running back Jacob Pitsenberger and tight end Anton Casey, leaving major gaps in the offense. They will also be without former wide receiver Jake Kuhn, who transferred to St. Maria Goretti High School.

However, new quarterback Matt Clayton said that there are players who can step up to replace the graduated starters on the team’s path to the postseason.

“Myself along with guys like Austin DeRamus and Gunnar Morton will have to step in to fill these roles,” he said. “The main goal is to do better than last year and hopefully make a run at the playoffs.”

The team opens the season tonight against a strong Paint Branch team, home at 6:30.