“Bombs Away”: album review

Australian indie-pop band Sheppard has hit the top charts with their latest album, “Bombs Away.”

Released in the U.S. on March 10, 2015, “Bombs Away” reached spot 31 on the Billboard 200.

Since the launch of their professional music career in 2009, Sheppard has spread their tunes across the globe and continues to tour worldwide—from Australia to Tokyo to the United States.

This album’s mixed vibe incorporates pop and country with an alternative twist, making it the perfect playlist for summer road trips.

However, while the album has some killer tracks, many of the songs begin to sound redundant.

After The Black & White received a review copy of the album we compiled a list of four songs: our top three favorites, and one we could have lived without.

Favorite: The Best is Yet to Come
Imagine the excitement as you hop into the car, ready to embark on your first summer road trip of the season.The sparkling sea and endless miles of sand are only hours away. After popping in the CD, “The Best is Yet to Come” blasts in your car, and the song speaks the truth. The intro is subtle and soft, yet builds to create a strong melody. Between the male-female harmonies and the drum’s steady beat, it’s almost impossible to keep from tapping your foot.

Favorite: Let Me Down Easy
When never-ending highways and hypnotizing yellow road markings guide your journey for miles, “Let Me Down Easy” is the ideal music to make the cruise enjoyable. The song’s relaxed rhythm is enhanced by steady guitar and drum beats. The catchy tune of the chorus will definitely be ingrained in your memory even after only one listen. It’s the perfect track to jam to while you kick your feet up on the dashboard and relax—that is, unless you’re the driver.

The one we could have lived without: Smile
As you continue down the road and “Smile” beings to play, you’re confused because you don’t remember switching the CD to a children’s station. In contrast with the indie theme of the album, Smile has a more childish and cliche pop sound. Now may be a good time to skip a track to keep the vibes high.

Favorite: Geronimo:
“Geronimo” is, by far, the best track of the album, and is the perfect finale for your trip. Its uplifting melody can instantly cure your case of minivan-induced cabin fever and help celebrate the heavily anticipated end of your long journey— when you finally pull up to the breathtaking beach.
You’ll eject the CD when you arrive, but beware: the tunes will most likely stick in your head for hours to come.