The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title
Boys lacrosse season comes to a close after losing to Churchill 12–5 in regional finals

Baseball mercy rules Watkins Mill 10–0 on senior night

[score id=”44456″ align=”right”]
The baseball team demolished the Watkins Mill Wolverines 10–0 Monday, winning their fourth straight game to improve to 9–5 on the season.

The game was preceded by a ceremony for the Vikings’ six seniors: outfielder Andrew Cashmere, infielders Jack Prill and Alex Clark, catcher Evan Koretsky and pitchers Sam Berson and Dylan Hurd.

Outfielder Danny Mills described the importance of the seniors, citing the team’s unity as a reason for the team’s success.

“I think Dr. Goodwin said it best when he said that there has never been a group of kids with this much team chemistry,” he said.

There were also several community night festivities before the game, such as a raffle, barbecue food and Dr. Goodwin throwing the opening pitch.

The pre-game excitement carried over into the contest, as the Vikings tallied seven runs in the first inning. The team went through the full batting order and three players batted twice in the frame.

The Vikes added two more runs in the second inning, and tacked on the final run in the fourth. As a result of the blowout score, 17 different Vikings players had at-bats.

Mills said the team was able to hit so freely by exploiting an easier pitching matchup.

“We took advantage of the extra base runners we got and had good at-bats all around,” he said.

The game was briefly delayed in the fourth inning due to rain, and ended for good after the top of the fifth when the mercy rule took effect.

On the mound, pitchers Sam Berson, Dylan Hurd and Eric Wayman combined for five scoreless innings.

The Vikings look to extend their winning streak to five games when they host the Blair Blazers Tuesday.