Softball falls to Walter Johnson 7–4 in regional finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 in state quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in regional finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend

National news roundup: April 27

Courtesy of Wikimedia.
Courtesy of Wikimedia.

Here are some headlines and quick links from this week’s national news.

Demonstrations and a state of emergency in Baltimore and Maryland:

Governor Hogan declared a state of emergency in Maryland today due to the intensity of demonstrations in Baltimore. Protests broke out after Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black resident of Baltimore, died of a spinal cord injury in police custody. In response to his death, protests began peacefully this week. However, after a demonstration in downtown Baltimore Saturday, a group of approximately 100 protesters began breaking store and car windows as well as throwing items at officers. Given the violence that erupted this year after similar incidences throughout the U.S., tensions in Baltimore are particularly high. Click here to learn more.

In the coming week, critical cases regarding gay marriage and lethal injection will be heard before the Supreme Court:

Gay Marriage: On Tuesday, the Supreme Court will hear arguments concerning same-sex marriage. The primary issue before the Court is whether there is a Constitutional right for same-sex couples to marry. In addition, the Court will decide to what extent individual states can define marriage and whether states must recognize the validity of same-sex marriages performed in other states. Click here to learn more about the issues at stake.

Lethal Injection: Death row inmates from Oklahoma are challenging the use of lethal injection. After one inmate died slowly and painfully last year, the inmates claim that Oklahoma’s protocol violates the prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment. Click here to learn more about the case and upcoming arguments.

White House Correspondents’ Dinner:

The event brought laughs about the President, media and potential candidates for the 2016 presidential election. At this years’ White House Correspondents’ Dinner, SNL Comedian Cecily Strong headlined the event. One of the highlights of the night was President Barack Obama’s skit about his “anger translator.” Click here to read about Obama’s top 10 jokes of the night.