Going Out Guide: spring edition

With the last of the snow finally melting away, many students are rejoicing; they’re shedding their winter coats and snow boots for the more weather-appropriate t-shirts and sandals. The loss of the 5 a.m. exciting snow-day texts from MCPS gives way to spring festivals and activities all around the area. Here are some things to look forward to this spring.

The National Cherry Blossom Festival features artists, music, and food all along the National Mall, including paddle boats in the tidal basin facing the Jefferson Memorial. Photo by Naomi Ravick.
The National Cherry Blossom Festival features artists, music, food and activities all along the National Mall, including paddle boats in the tidal basin facing the Jefferson Memorial. Photo by Naomi Ravick.

Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival and Anacostia River Festival: These are two of the many highlights of the cherry blossom festival, held from March 20-April 12. These events feature music, entertainment, and food for hours of fun with friends and family. The events are free and accessible via Metro. These are two different festivals at different locations and feature different types of entertainment.With the Southwest Waterfront Festival on April 4 and the Anacostia River Festival on April 12, you are sure to see some beautiful blossoms no matter what.

St. Patrick’s Day Sip-and-Shop: To entertain the little leprechaun in you this St. Patricks Day, a great event is the Bethesda Row Saint Patrick’s Day Sip-and-Shop. The event features establishments such as: American Tap Room, Bethesda Bagels, Mama Lucia’s, and Cafe Deluxe. With some interesting food choices like green pizza and Irish stew, it’s a great way to embrace the luck of the Irish and the great springtime weather.

Holi DC: Go celebrate the festival of colors with Holi DC on April 11. Holi is an ancient Hindu color festival celebrating spring. Dance, enjoy, and sing under a bright cloud of colored powder in Potomac. The festival of colors is always held in early spring and it signifies new life, new growth, and new beginnings. Throw on a white t-shirt, grab some friends and head to the free festival to celebrate spring.

Farmers’ Markets: This is a great way to bond with friends and local business owners alike. Our area is home to some of the best farmers’ markets around. Eastern Market in D.C. is one of the finest farmers’ markets in the area, with vendors coming from near and far to showcase their goods every weekend. Another great market is the Bethesda Farm Womens’ Market. It’s open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays and is a great way to get out into downtown Bethesda. The other great farmers’ market in the area is held Sundays in Dupont circle. Featuring tons of different businesses each weekend, it’s a great way to get into the community and eat some delicious fresh food.

Truckeroo: Food…on wheels…does it get better? One of the best spring days is when all these trucks are spread around in carnival-like formation. I call all foodies to Truckeroo, a food truck festival on Half-Street and M street April 24. The event is held monthly from April-October featuring live music, food, games, and a bullpen. Admission is free while, of course, the food itself costs money, but is nonetheless a fantastic spring activity for when the weather is nice and you’re just looking for some good eats.

We’re all excited that spring is finally here and to see those gorgeous flowers burst open. Hopefully these ideas will give you a way to get out of the house. Whether it be going down to the waterfront or just to downtown Bethesda, anything is a welcome distraction from studying for APs.