Central Farm Market offers fresh snacks, produce

A young man strums his guitar as customers meander through the market, many with babies in strollers or dogs on leashes. They pass booths selling vegetables, pastries and freshly prepared crepes, and stop to chat with vendors as they pass. It feels like a typical summer day at Bethesda Central Farm Market. Except for one aspect—it’s 40 degrees outside.

Customers line up at the Red Banana Bakery. Photo by Nick Anderson.
Customers line up at the Red Banana Bakery, which sells pastries that will satisfy gluten-free, vegan and dairy-free shoppers alike. Photo by Nick Anderson.

The Bethesda Elementary-based market was started in 2008, but only opened for the winter two years ago. The winter season lasts through March 29, and boasts recently-extended hours. It now open through 1:30 p.m. rather than 1:00 p.m. Throughout its six years of operation, the market has grown from just 17 original vendors to 60 in the summer and 39 in the winter.

A big draw for customers is the diverse range of products. Serious market-goers can finish their grocery shopping for the week, while more casual shoppers have a myriad of both practical and eclectic booths to explore. The prepared foods section, where vendors make fresh foods such as dumplings, waffles and crepes, is also a big draw, vendor Nicole Olson said.

Another vendor, Lynn Voight, credits market heads Mitch Berliner and Debra Moser with the market’s success.

“They do a great job vetting people and picking vendors,” she said.

Olson operates the stand for her business Two Acre Farm, which sells homemade natural jams, mustards, salsas and other spreads. Olson, a former accountant, began selling at Bethesda Central Farm Market when it opened and finds her current job more compelling than being confined to a desk. Now she enjoys a steady stream of shoppers eager to chat as they pick up their regular purchase or peruse her display. A man stops by with his newborn baby to show Olson the newest addition to his family.

Nearby, Lynn Voight sits behind a table with an impressive display of differently shaped and sized bottles. Voight and her husband run All Things Olive, selling selected olive oils produced on family farms in California. Voight’s oils are all certified extra virgin by the California Olive Oil Council, making her and her husband the first members of this council on the east coast.

Voight is committed to braving the cold temperatures at the winter market, because she wants to be there to supply her regular customers all year long, she said.

“We wouldn’t dream of not being here in the winter,” Voight said. “You don’t want your customers to come if you’re not there.”

Bethesda Central Farm Market caters to many different types of customers, including those with food allergies or those seeking a healthier snack. Jaimie Mertz, who runs a bakery called The Red Bandana, sells pastries that will satisfy gluten-free, vegan and dairy-free shoppers alike.

“I’m trying to sell healthier versions of desserts,” she said.

Senior Chelsea Markus frequented the market last year and enjoyed the prepared foods section, particularly the dumplings, which she would pick up every week after ACT prep.

“It’s good if you’re looking for a bite to eat,” she said. “Most of the fruits and veggies are grown without hormones and pesticides, but they are usually pricier than foods at Giant.”

All of the vendors agreed that the market is a great place to work because of its high-quality products and welcoming atmosphere.

“This market is phenomenal,” Olson said.