Boys auction themselves off to raise money for LLS

Flying chocolate hearts and boys smeared with cake sounds like the perfect pre-Valentine’s Day event for many students, especially when the boys parading about the stage in their boxers are our friends and classmates.

Seniors Chris Mason, Anton Casey, Caleb Kushner and Andrew Cashmere auction off a spa day. Photo by Nick Anderson.
Seniors Chris Mason, Anton Casey, Caleb Kushner and Andrew Cashmere auction off a spa day. The group sold for $200. Photo by Nick Anderson.

One of the most highly-anticipated LLS events, guy auction provides a chance for the guys to strut and sell their stuff to the highest bidder. With all of the proceeds going towards the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, students couldn’t help but spend a little extra money for a hot date. The event raised around $4,000.

The evening started off with a third-grader named Riley talking about her heroic battle with cancer as everyone in the auditorium cheered for her.

“The best part of the event was when Riley came on stage and spoke to the audience about her experience with leukemia,” senior Anton Casey said. “It was touching.”

The show proceeded with all 45 guys catwalking across the stage, displaying their goods for around 100 audience members.

Students stripped down and lathered each other with sunscreen all for a good cause.

“The best part of it was knowing all the money was going to a good cause that will hopefully bring us closer to a cure,” senior Lino Nunez del Arco said.

Seniors Collin Mitchell and Jake Parksy pantomime playing music with guitar hero instruments to advertise a jazz night out. Photo by Nick Anderson.
Seniors Collin Mitchell and Jake Parksy pantomime playing music with Guitar Hero instruments to advertise a jazz night out. Photo by Nick Anderson.

Groups of guys went for as little as $100 for hiking and ‘The Notebook’ and up to $420 for a Nats game.

“It’s really all about their skit,” junior Dylan Cernea said about purchasing a date. “If a group of guys can make a fool of themselves for a good cause, then they are worth a purchase.”

The boys thoughtfully planned out dates which ranged from dinner and a Caps game to hot yoga and lunch. Guys decorated themselves with icing, threw chocolate hearts into the audience and stripped down to almost nothing in an effort to raise money.

A lot of planning went into this event on behalf of Leadership and the Guy Auction committee headed by McKenna Murray.

“My favorite part of event planning was probably reading all of the bios,” Murray said. “Guys are actually pretty funny sometimes.”

Highlights of the show included a fake hockey fight, fishing for puns, and sensual body rubs with sunscreen and icing.

“I’ve always wanted to rub icing on my body in front of a large crowd, so when the opportunity for guy auction came around, we went for it,” junior John Lidon said.