Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Detectives continue to investigate murder at UVA

Charlottesville Police arrested and charged UVA senior and former Landon student George Huguely May 3 with the murder of his ex-girlfriend Yeardley Love.

After finding Love facedown on her pillow in a pool of blood at 2:15 a.m Monday, one of Love’s roommates called police.

Although the roommate thought Love was suffering from an alcohol overdose, the rescue squad that arrived at the apartment found Love dead. Love had a bruised face, a swollen eye and scrapes on her chin, according to police reports.

Detectives will continue to speak to witnesses before they can confirm that Huguely was the murderer, Charlottesville police Lieutendant Gary Pleasant said.

Love and Huguely both played lacrosse for UVA. Love, a defender, had played in 3 games this season. Huguely, a midfielder for the men’s team, had played in all 15 games this season.

Students at UVA did not expect such a situation, given the high level of trust and confidence felt around the university.

“I was really shocked after hearing about the murder because at UVA, the ideas of the community of trust and the honor code are ingrained in us,” said Mary Wang, a freshman at UVA. “I think the whole community feels a little betrayed.”

The tragic loss of Love’s life has hit the university especially hard because a student committed the offense.

“That she appears now to have been murdered by another student compounds this sense of loss by suggesting that Yeardley died without comfort or consolation from those closest to her,” UVA President John Casteen said in an email to students Monday. “She deserves to be remembered for her human goodness, her capacity for future greatness, and for the terrible way in which her young life has ended.”

As a way to bring the community together, a candle light ceremony was held at the university in honor of Love on Wednesday May 5.

“Although I know this is a busy, stressful time for students just as we start exams, I hope you will come tomorrow evening for this opportunity to reach out to one another in comfort, support, and unity,” Hood said to students in an email.