In preparation of feasting: tips to avoiding a Thanksgiving food coma

Thanksgiving—the only holiday centered around eating (until my protest to make national donut day a national holiday goes through. Come on Obama!). While many people are focused on getting their yearly fix of turkey and cranberry sauce in the span of an hour, they probably aren’t thinking about the amount of food intake due to a fear of the answer (myself included).

These are NOT tips for weight loss. Everyone should at least take Thanksgiving to not worry about pant size or anything but a positive body image (though every day should be like that).

These tips are simply to save you from the nausea and discomfort caused by eating too much turkey.

1. Designate a section on your plate for each item you want:

Nothing is worse than realizing your plate is going to break from the weight of food but still not having a piece of Uncle Bob’s cornbread. With this simple trick, you can get all the food you want, while not going overboard on any one item.

2. Take the amount of food that looks like it would fill you (and then some—hey, it’s Thanksgiving):

If you skimp on the first serving, you’re more likely to go back for seconds, according to Eat Out Eat Well, a website devoted to healthy eating. Instead, take the amount of food you think you’ll want in general—it’ll still be less than going back for seconds.

3. Drink a big glass of water:

Because when you have the option of a mashed potato volcano (with gravy lava of course), you’ll always choose water. Kidding—this is easily the most annoying tip on here, but it really helps. The water will make you feel more full temporarily and can give you a moment’s reflection about what you’re thankful for, or how much you just ate.

4. Don’t skip meals leading up to dinner:

Everyone knows that dinner is the big finale worth waiting for, but if you miss a meal, you’re more likely to overeat at the next one because you tell yourself it’s ok. Make sure to have a hearty breakfast and at least a snack before it’s turkey time. (Note: Possible new Thanksgiving-themed Hip Hop album called Turkey Time).

5. Get some exercise in the morning:

According to the Harvard Health Publications, exercise can help with digestion. If you’re not the aerobic-exercise-type, certain yoga poses can help with bloating and digestion too. Namaste? More like NOM-aste.

6. Wear a spandex suit to Thanksgiving:

At least now you don’t have the discomfort of a tight waistband or a belt that needs loosening. Negative side: your Aunt Barb will show up next year in the exact same one in an attempt to be “hip” so make sure to buy a new one so as to avoid any awkward encounters.