The TEA to success

If you’re interested in finding your inner Zen but don’t know where to start, let me clue you in on the secret to success—it’s tea. Yes, I’m sure you tried it that one time and thought it was too “earthy” or “boring” but would you stop drinking soda because you hated Pepsi?

There are so many types of tea out there, you’ll probably get overwhelmed just looking at the various brands and need to take a tea break. To save you from an overwhelming tea selection process, I’ve created a guide to the best teas and what activities to pair them with. Namaste y’all.

Green Tea: The mothership of tea. Full of health benefits ranging from clearing acne to lowering cholesterol, this is a hot beverage that everyone should get behind. Though some brands may taste like you’re drinking yard clippings (even I, the enthuTEAist don’t like certain kinds), others combine the leaves with flavors like mint, honey, and citrus to make for a relaxing and delicious treat.

Best when feeling stressed from school or work, or when trying to maintain a calm mind. Also works for looking super cool and hip. Trust me.

English Breakfast: This tea will have you saying pip pip cheerio to the coffee in the morning, afternoon, or evening because it goes with everything. Though it’s always nice to have fancier teas, Lipton or Tetley Teas will do the trick for half the cost of other brands, especially if you’re adding milk and sugar to it.

Best to drink with meals or snacks, or when trying to power through a long assignment without being distracted by robust flavor.

Earl Grey: Named after the British Prime Minister in the 1830s, Earl Grey is a black tea with a citrus flavor that goes perfectly with some sugar and even fresh lemon juice. Though it isn’t extremely strong in taste, I would suggest putting some thought into what food you’ll pair it with, because it definitely has a taste of its own.

Best for rainy days or when meeting someone for tea and cookies (biscuits, if you will), or for a midday snack, as it can be filling.

Darjeeling: This tea is anything but limited. It comes from the Darjeeling district in India and can be made with green, black, white, or oolong tealeaves. It has a floral smell and a somewhat sweet taste.

Perfect for nice weather, especially brisk but sunny days when you’re trying to feel like Henry David Thoreau by getting in touch with nature.

Chai: This tea will add some necessary spice to your life. Perfect in a big mug by itself (or with some sugar for all of you sweet people), the ability to enjoy a tasty, but healthy, beverage at Starbucks or at home will soon be a realiTEA.

Perfect for literally any time. Drink it at home, take it in a thermos to school, bathe in it*— just take it all in because it’s fantastic.
*Maybe don’t bathe in it.