SGA swaps crowns for capes with new homecoming heroes

Trading crowns for capes, a group of four individuals was deemed hero-worthy by their peers last Friday at the homecoming pep rally.

This year, the SGA decided to put a twist on the homecoming court, hoping to add more meaning to the selection process and honor of being king or queen. Going along with the homecoming theme, juniors Carolyn Hoover and Ben Katz and seniors Mia Carmel and Colin Mitchell were each named “homecoming hero.”

Photo by Emma Anderson.
Senior nominees for homecoming hero line up at the pep rally. Each hero received a cape before being sent back into the bleachers. Photo by Emma Anderson.

As the name of each hero was read into the microphone, the emcees highlighted each hero’s contribution to Whitman. Carolyn Hoover runs the junior class in her role as president. Ben Katz helps out classmates in Best Buddies. Mia Carmel is consistently seen leading cheers for the Whitmaniacs and planning activities in Leadership. Colin Mitchell is in charge of drumline and a member of guy poms.

Each hero received a cape before being sent back into the bleachers.

“Getting the cape in front of the entire school was such a humbling experience,” Mitchell said. “I’ve never thought of myself as a hero, but it was really cool to see that people do.”

Carmel was also surprised to hear she had won, and felt honored to be selected by her classmates.

“I like to think that Colin and I do a lot for the Whitman community,” Carmel said.

Carmel herself voted for two other classmates, Louie Gold and Talia Brenner because of their participation in community service.

SGA teacher sponsor and psychology teacher Sheryl Freedman suggested the change to the homecoming court, after the idea had been considered in years past.

“They had tried to do this and never succeeded,” senior class president Jonny Rasch said. “We thought this year we could actually try to do it.”

On the nomination and final voting ballots handed out in all English classes, the SGA described a hero as “someone in your grade that inspires you or goes beyond and above to help a fellow student or the Whitman community.”

In years past, the homecoming court has been used for bullying or making fun of people, Rasch said. The SGA hoped that with changing the name, they could also change the idea associated with the homecoming court, making it a more meaningful reflection of what students do for others.

“We thought that it would be a risk because we weren’t sure how students would receive it,” Rasch said.

The SGA heard plenty positive and negative feedback, yet when the Friday afternoon pep rally rolled around and the heroes were announced, the audience gave a huge applause for each of their classmates, seeming to be pleased with the new idea.

“This was definitely a step in the direction towards bringing meaning back to homecoming court,” senior leadership member Rachel Ordan said. “I think in general people responded really well.”